Monday, April 22, 2013

Working Man

Life is difficult.  I was foolish to think that the world outside of school would be a breeze.  In the light of recent events I would give anything just for a few hours of lecture and some homework.  I've gone through at least 16 of my 22 years of schooling just to end up here.  How? 

About a month ago I was notified that my company is eliminating my position from the company services.  The notification shouldn't have been a surprise because of the recent turbulence in the corporate structure, but it hurt more than I anticipated.  Words of encouragement have come from everywhere and I have been keeping positive thanks to my Fiancee's overwhelming assistance in finding new employment.  But I just don't get it.  I have her looking, and a handful of recruiters and all I hear back is "We are looking for someone with more experience for this position." How can EVERY company want only experience.  I have taken job roles and responsibilities and worded them such that I can apply experience anywhere.

I understand the hesitance employers have to hiring a recent college graduate, but why?  My GPA isn't bad, and I have practical experience and better work ethic than 90% of all other Americans.  I am willing to get my hands dirty and put in the effort to accomplish not only my goals, but my organizations goals.  There aren't many other people who can say that about themselves.  I started working when I was 14 helping a family friend remodel an apartment for minimum wage, and then held steady part time jobs since.  I've worked every summer in the 8 years since I got started in the job market.  I've done light construction, a full array of professional landscaping, food service, and even working in a call center & warehouse.  I think that this diverse background would qualify me for a little more than how I am treated.

After re-reading all of that I just want to say that I am NOT expendable, and my services ARE invaluable.  These companies dismissing me because of a "lack" of experience are missing out on more than just a hard worker, but they are missing out on increased productivity and top quality analysis.  Just give me a chance.

I will achieve. I will succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment